Ever gotten something with a name that’s way cooler than what it actually does? Well that’s not the case here. Our SLAMPAK has a cool name but what it does is even cooler!
We created our SLAMPAK (Single Lens Attached by Magnets Peli Assessment Kit) as an all-in-one solution for you to quickly demonstrate the Peli Lens to your patients and determine if they can benefit from it. What could be cooler than helping people who’ve lost some of their vision expand their visual field? We can’t think of anything. Except maybe a self-driving car. Or a Mars colony. But we digress…
Learn more about the SLAMPAK on this page. Wanna get the kit? Follow this link or use the button below. (Note: You will be redirected to Tech Optics International, our off-the-shelf division.)
From a Veteran’s Affairs Hospital or Vision Center? We may be able to offer the SLAMPAK to you on consignment. Click here to submit a request.
What's the SLAMPAK?
We’ve been working with doctors and therapists for over 20 years to help patients with homonymous hemianopia regain as much visual field as possible (while improving their qualify of life).
The Peli Lens has been proven time and again to be the best solution for helping homonymous hemianopia patients expand their peripheral vision (don’t take our word for it – check out the Peli Lens publications page if you want some super in-depth, scientific reading material).
But, we discovered that demonstrating the Peli Lens in-office can be cumbersome.
Why? Because the Peli Lens comes in two lens types and patients are afflicted in either their left or right eye. Up until now, that has required keeping multiple pairs of glasses or fitovers on hand to use in the demonstrating process.
The other option has been to attach temporary Peli Lens prisms to the patient’s glasses to try them out. The drawback to this approach is that patients do not get the benefit of switching between their normal corrected vision and the temporary Peli Lens multiple times. Once the temporary lenses are attached to the patient’s glasses, that’s it. And, temporary prisms about 50% weaker than the permanent Peli Lens.
Enter the SLAMPAK.
Our SLAMPAK is a compact way for your patients to quickly and easily take the Peli Lens for a test run. In addition to being super easy to use, the SLAMPAK lets you demonstrate the full-powered Peli Lens in a removable format.
Here’s what’s included:
- Fitover frame: using 3 magnets embedded into each side of the fitover frame, you can attach either lens to test oblique and horizontal prisms on the right or left eye without requiring your patients to take off their glasses (it also works for patients who don’t wear prescription glasses)
- Oblique Lens: the oblique lens is suited for patients who need field expansion for driving or mobility
- Horizontal Lens: the horizontal lens is best suited for patients who want improved mobility
- Temporary Peli Lens Kit: our temporary Peli Lens kit lets you practice fitting and training patients for the temporary lens
- Information and Instructions: the SLAMPAK brochure contains instructions for using the SLAMPAK as well as additional information on the Peli Lens and its benefits
Watch the SLAMPAK in Action
How the Peli Lens Works
By placing high-powered prisms in a patient’s peripheral vision, the Peli Lens expands a homonymous hemianopia patient’s visual field and gives them more awareness of their missing peripheral vision.
Increased awareness can lead to a greater ability to avoid collisions and navigate around obstacles. Some patients are even able to drive again with the Peli Lens.
The Peli Lens Process
Helping your patient get the Peli Lens is straightforward and simple. We recommend following the process outlined below for best results.
- Determine Peli Lens is the Solution: if your patient suffers from stroke-related visual field loss, the Peli Lens will likely help them regain some lost vision
- Demonstrate the Peli Lens: Use the SLAMPAK to show your patients the Peli Lens in-office to demonstrate its benefits
- Fit the Temporary Peli Lens: the temporary Peli Lens is a cost-effective way for your patients to take the Peli Lens for a test run over a 4-6 week trial period
- Train with the Temporary Peli Lens: during the trial period, routine at-home training has been shown to increase the benefit a patient receives from the Peli Lens
- Order the Permanent Peli Lens: permanent Peli Lens peripheral prisms offer the greater field expansion and are far more durable than temporary lenses. We offer a variety of configurations to meet your patients’ needs.
*Our experience has been that deviating from this process results in poorer results for your patients. 🙁
The Temporary Peli Lens
The temporary Peli Lens is an affordable option for your patients to try before committing to a more permanent and expensive solution.
While temporary Peli Lens peripheral prisms expand visual field, they are meant to be used for a short period (4-6 weeks) and do not provide as much field expansion as permanent prisms.
We do not recommend that patients rely on temporary prisms for long-term use because they will not experience as much benefit as with permanent prisms.
The good news is that 74% of patients who complete a trial with temporary prisms wished to continue using the Peli Lens. Proper fitting and training leads to even higher success rates.
Need to order some temporary Peli Lens kits? Click here or use the button below. You’ll be taken to Tech Optics International, our low vision department, where you can order directly from the website.
Peli Lens Prescription Solutions
There are a variety of ways to get the Peli Lens into your patients’ hands. We’ve outlined the most popular and useful in the section below, but if you need something different, let us know. We want to make sure your patient has the best solution for their needs.
SLAM: Single Lens Attached by Magnets
After decades of putting permanent Peli Lens prisms into every frame and lens imaginable, we developed a single lens solution that gives your patient the ease and convenience they need to use Peli Lens prisms on their terms.
Chadwick’s SLAM solution affixes to your patient’s existing glasses via three small magnets embedded on the side of the lens.
The benefits of Chadwick’s SLAM solution include:
- Staying Power: our SLAM solution stays on the lens despite heavy shaking
- Durability: Our SLAM solution is quite durable and resists breakage
- Comfort: Our SLAM solution is the least weighty of available options
The drawbacks of Chadwick’s SLAM solution include:
- Aesthetics: having three magnets embedded in the lens of their dress glasses may be less aesthetically appealing than a single magnet in each lens
Magnetic clip-ons are a two-lens solution that have one magnet embedded in each lens to allow the patient to affix the clip-on to their glasses frame.
The benefits of magnetic clip-ons include:
- Aesthetics: only one magnet on each side of the patient’s glasses is required for the clip-on
The drawbacks of magnetic clip-ons include:
- Durability: the magnetic clip-on is fragile at the bridge
- Staying Power: the magnetic clip-on can fall off if your patient encounters unexpected obstacles or unstable situations
- Comfort: the combined weight of two lenses may be comfortable for some patients
Ordering Permanent Peli Lens Peripheral Prisms
If you need any help, let us know! We’re always eager to assist you with getting your patients what they need.
Need something not mentioned on this page? No problem! We’ve put Peli Lens peripheral prisms into a wide variety of lenses and can help you get your patient what they need. Just give us a shout and we’ll be more than happy to care of you.
Full Face picture of new SLAM
Video of person putting on SLAM vs putting on Chemistrie
Graphic pointing out connection points (ROUGH GRAPHIC below)
Get the SLAMPAK
Are you pumped about our SLAMPAK? Woot! Not that pumped? You can still order the SLAMPAK. The good news is that either way we’ve put together everything you need to get your hands on the Peli Assessment Kit. We call that kismet. Or super effective marketing.
To get the SLAMPAK, please click here. You’ll be taken to the product page on Tech Optics International, our branch devoted to off-the-shelf solutions for specialty and low vision needs.
Or, if you have any questions, give us a shout. We want to answer them (as long as they’re within the realm of optical stuff).
Coming from a VA office? Sweet. You may qualify to get the SLAMPAK on consignment. Just click here and fill out our request form.